Thursday, April 14, 2011

Here I am again picking races and attempting to actually train for a half-marathon

Last July my bestie called me up and said, wanna train for the Disney Princess Half Marathon?? After I got done laughing until my side hurt (I have/had never run more than 4 miles at one time in my life) I decided what do I have to lose besides a little time. The gains seemed so much better than the lost TV time. So I started training, did the C25k program and in 8 weeks I was running 3 miles. I managed to work up to 4 miles then my bestie fell off the running band wagon, then something else happened, then I got lazy, then it got cold (yes, I am aware that 40 isn’t cold anywhere else but in FL). Before I knew it the habit I had tried so hard to make was broken. I convinced myself “I was never meant to be a runner”. I have every excuse in the book. I probably would have forgotten all about the half and buried my defeat in the back of my mind never to be pondered again…but I didn’t. You know why I didn’t forget, because a girl I knew in HS, a girl who was no different than I was, (in fact I’d say in HS we were pretty similar in body structure) never thin always carrying a little extra weight trained and ran a half marathon one short month before I was supposed to run mine. And she kicked that 13.1 miles ass, and fell in love with running.

I wanted that to be my story. Watching her progression unfold I was envious of her new found passion, and her new found ass (but more her passion). So I picked my head out of my… well you know where, and I started running again off and on, a couple miles here and a couple there. I kept thinking, I will fall back into a habit. But I am coming to realize it isn’t as easy as that, I need a goal I need something to strive for. So today, when I should be doing something constructive like working, or writing thank yous to the 9 departments that interviewed me at the beginning of the week, I find myself day dreaming about running.

I have been running pretty regularly for the past month. I manage about 2-3 runs per week, I am working on consistency and making 2-3 turn into 3-4. I was traveling this month and some last month, but that is over for a little while so I am rededicating myself to training. I went online and picked a race that I want to train for in Virginia. I am moving in the next few months. My hubby is moving in 2 weeks, and I will follow at a date yet to be determined, but most likely June or July. I am moving to or near Fredericksburg, so I started looking near there for a half marathon in the fall/early winter. I found one… it’s called VA Runner Blue and Grey Half Marathon, registration costs a whopping $39.00. And it is put on by a local running club. I may end up joining after my transition. I am going to be a runner…I am going to be a runner…I am going to be a runner. That is my new mantra. And I am sure I will be singing it the whole way on 12/11/11 when I am running my first half marathon.

I also picked out a 10k to run in October, it’s the Spotsy YMCA 10k, and there is a 10 miler (16.1k…if I have trained up to that distance) in August. I am kind of excited about building distance and actually being able to run 6.2 and 10 and 13.1 miles without dying.

I still hope to be able to swing the Disney Half in January 2012, but I needed a finish line that will be executable regardless of funding. I know that I can afford $39.00, no matter the circumstances.

So, here’s to tangible finish lines and realistic goals.

2 comments:

  1. I think you rock. And you're going to get that half-marathon. Yes, I daydream about running too. You've caught the passion already. :)

    The best motivator for me was that I put it on facebook for all the world to see. The risk of everyone seeing me fail was the biggest motivator to not screw it up.

    Just remember about the mileage... You're running. Just keep running. The mileage will come, and you're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad bestie. bad bad bestie.

    ReplyDelete