Wednesday, April 20, 2011

glancing back, running forward

Today I decided to try to log onto my old Nike+ account. Apparently, I have a memory like an elephant because I logged in first try. I wanted to see my progress during my last running cycle. See where exactly I fell off the wagon. Who ever thought that run history would come in handy. I was pleased to see that I am not running that much slower then I was last fall. Ironically it was not long after I got my Vibram Five Fingers that I quit, great investment in +$100 shoes. I had a lot of calf pain when I first started to run in them. My hip and joint pain went away as soon as I started using them but then… calves from hell. I really wanted to highlight was that I STOPPED running regularly in December last year. Essentially my last run was December 13…then there were a smattering of runs (no more than 3 miles until I really quit on February 3.

March 13 was my official comeback day…. I am already running distances equal to those I was at the end of my training; I guess I haven’t lost too much. I am also running exclusively in my VFF’s. I can’t even explain how awkward it is to put on normal running shoes, I tried one day and only made it to the front door before I changed out of them. I like the minimalist feel. I can tell when I am pushing too hard. There is sensory response from body parts that used to be buried in cushion. I haven’t even gotten a blister since I switched, I kind of thought that having stuff between your toes would cause more friction, but they fit like a glove. I did end up with some hot spots yesterday right where the balls of my feet meet my arch, but after doing some research I found other people who have had these problems in VFF’s attribute it to poor form. I believe that because I was really struggling last night and I could hear my feet kind of slapping the ground a little near the end. Next run…CONCENTRATE ON FORM.

I haven’t been running 3x a week like I am supposed to but that is my goal for this week. I believe that my feet and legs are fully adjusted to the VFFs and I don’t get calf pain anymore. In fact I don’t even really get sore muscles, sometimes they are a bit tired..but never sore. It’s strange…maybe it’s a result of the mid-foot strike, or could it be I am a baby and don’t push myself hard enough? I do know that I need to start a better stretching routine. I tend to rush the stretching a little so that can hurry up and update either my dailymile account or this blog. I don’t want to risk an injury because I am shortchanging my legs. I was enjoying Yoga at the Y, but I don’t have that membership anymore and I stopped going because the woman was too aggressive in her practice and I was too proud not to push myself and wouldn’t you know, I hurt myself... and now I am scared to find a new Yoga spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment