Wednesday, April 20, 2011

for 'vette

a friend of mine wanted to know about experiences with VFFs so here are some of my opinions. i love em...

*********the following is an exerpt from an old blog on a site that doesn't exist any more that explains why I migrated to VFFs******

I decided a while back that I wanted to be a minimalist runner. Like running barefoot. There were multiple things that lead me to this decision. I will walk you through an abridged version. I originally bought Nike running shoes, for extra support of my arches and lots of cushion for my knees. All was well until I hit about 3 weeks into my running when my hip started KILLING me. I switched shoes to my New Balance, I love New Balance. They were much less cushy and I was really hitting my stride in them. I had even worked up to 4 miles (longest I have EVER run in my life). But my left knee was starting to bug me a little bit (PFS). So after doing some research I looked into VFF's. There were multiple claims to helping resolve the nagging bits that develop over a period of running. So I bought a pair of Bakila's and I loved the way they felt on my feet. I worked up slowly to be able to run a few miles in them. They take some real adjustment. You have to rework your whole style of running. <-- that was written after the adjustment period, the one below was before I was adjusted

This a quote form my blog in November, right after I got the VFF’s
“I bought new running shoes. Vibram Five Fingers (google em, they're funny looking) Then I ran in them once, only about .5 miles. I couldn't walk for 2 days. So I allowed myself to take the week off to recover.” <--I thought my calves were going to fall off… no joke. I had never experienced pain in that way before in my life

You REALLY have to EASE into them…

3 comments:

  1. for a little more see...
    March's "2 part blog..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. My calves hurt as soon as I got home from my .74 miles, not going to lie... and then I threw on my Brooks Dyads and ran another 3.76. (Who's an idiot? This gal) Through the day my calves kept saying "we are going to get you for this tomorrow." I'm not looking forward to waking up in the morning... but goddamn, running in them.... what a rush. I am hoping that I will be a convert. And thank you so so so much for this blog entry. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome... I remember my first run in them felt amazing. I felt like I was flying. I hadn't liked running that much ever, I felt like a kid. I wanna feel like that again.

    ReplyDelete