Wednesday, July 21, 2010

spaghetti squash

In addition to the running I have been attempting to eat better. For a large majority of my time in school my diet consisted of every type simple carb and refined sugar you could think of. So now I am increasing my veggie intake, reducing my white flours, sugars and empty carbs. Lucky for me my husband is also participating and he has been a great sport at trying new creations. This week I was craving a pasta type dish and I keep hearing about the wonders of spaghetti squash...so I thought..maybe this will be like cauliflower mashed potatoes, close enough to kill a craving.

So I cooked the squash in the oven for 45 minutes @ 375 (sliced in half, deseeded, rind up in the oven). Found a tomato sauce that had only 1g of sugar (the one I usually use has 10g) threw in some hot italian sausage and .... it was only OK. The sauce was really good and the squash was a little crunchy. Undercooked spaghetti !! I will try it again though if I left it in the oven longer I think I could have almost believed it was pasta, almost.

On to the running. I ran this morning, but I must have been super tired when my alarm went off. Keith woke up, walked across the room and turned it off. I didn't hear a thing. He had to wake me, he said he didn't even think I was in bed because I didn't move. He thought I had already gotten out of bed and hit the snooze button by accident. Unbelievable, I always wake up when the alarm goes off, it beeps super quietly twice and then I am up and off. This morning apparently the alarm got to piercing rapid pitches and I had no idea. Hopefully I hear it tomorrow...Keith won't be happy getting up at 4 two days in a row.


No comments:

Post a Comment