Monday, July 12, 2010

1 day down

So after careful contemplation I decided that the best time for me to run is early morning. I wanted to run in the evenings but after work, cooking dinner, and fighting the Florida summer rains I changed my mind to EARLY morning. So this week I am running at 5am, and next week 4am (I cringe just thinking of 4am, never mind actually greeting it and being active).

This morning as I headed out the door it was a cool 78 degrees. 78 freaking degrees at 5:15am, it was also 68% humidity. Better than the mid 90's and thunder storms scheduled for this afternoon.

I started my training using the couch 2 5k program (there is a link in my previous post). I am on week 1 day 1: 1 minute run, 90 seconds walk (repeat 8 times). Overall it was a good work out. I think I could have done more than the alloted workout but I am taking this journey slow. I really want to stick with it.

At the beginning of the summer I attempted to start this the c25k, so I bought an iPhone app, and set off to complete week one. It only took me a few days to realize that every time I went to run my 30 minute work out was taking 45 minutes. When my screen went off the app stopped running. That one minute felt like 3 because it was 3 minutes. Needless to say (because I am starting over) that training didn't last. And because of this technical difficulty I decided to go back to Robert Ullrey's C25k podcast. I have used it before (and got all the way to week 7 before I quit...notice a pattern, I have quit running A LOT) and even though I wouldn't chose the music he did, the upbeat dance music keeps me motivated and I don't have to watch the clock to know when to walk or run, and the best part, it plays still runs correctly when my screen is off.

I am calling today a win in the running world. I HATE MORNINGS, and managed to get out of bed when the alarm went off, got dressed, ran, stretched and made breakfast all before the time I usually get up. Tomorrow 5am yoga.




No comments:

Post a Comment