Friday, July 9, 2010

mental preparation

I am going to officially begin training on Monday, but until then I am gearing up mentally. I have never conqured such a large physical challange and I know from my history that I am prone to getting 5 weeks in an giving up. I don't want that to happen this time.

I am a little worried that I am not going to have time to schedule my runs during my transistion to my new job. But when doesn't life intervene and try to derail us from our best laid plans, come life bring it on..I am ready.

My new mantra has been, " I am going to run a half marathon, I am going to run a half marathon" then I try to remember to smile while picturing myself running for 2 hours for more. For me the scariest part is SUMMER, today the heat index is going to be 103, the humidity 9oo% (really 68%). But inorder to make my goal I need to start training immediately.

I have made a training schedule from now until the half marathon.
For the first 10 weeks ... starting July 12 I am going to follow the Couch 2 5K training plan. You can find it here: www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml . It is technically a 9 week program, but I am giving myself one extra week to sustain the 5K distance.
From there I am going to transfer to Hal Higdons 10K Training: Novice (www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm)
and then for the half-marathon training: Hal Higdon Half Marathon Novice (www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm)

I have also tried to find 5 and 10k races that fall into the time line of when I finish each of those training series, I have a couple in mind and will keep you posted when I commit.

No comments:

Post a Comment