Monday, July 4, 2011

5 Miler DONE

My day started early this morning. I was up at 5:45, 15 minutes before my alarm was set to go off. I guess my body really wanted to go for the 5 Mile run.

I got to the registration desk at 6:35 (they said get there early to avoid lines), but there were no lines. So I registered in about 5 minutes and had a lot of time to people watch before the run started. The one thing I noticed is that runners come in all different shapes and sizes. I saw skeletons and pumpkins.

I lined up near the back of the pack (I know my limitations) Once the race started I tried to remind myself that I needed to pace myself for the race because 5 miles is not my normal 2-3. So off I trotted. Mile one I was at an 11 and some pace. Not to bad considering all my training runs here in Virginia have been 12+, I guess the training on hills is paying off ( I say hill training like it is something purposeful, like I have a choice in the fact the my house is surrounded by hills. ) Mile 2...I was at 22 and some change, a steady pace. This was the first water stop. I have never maneuvered a water stop, so I took a cup and just walked a few steps while I drank my ICE COLD water (I think I would have liked it a bit warmer, but that is personal preference) I had a couple of inquires about my shoes, and seeing I was able to respond quite easily I knew I wasn't over exerting myself. At mile 3, I got the chills and I was thinking....hummm I hope that isn't a bad sign. But I just kept going by this time I was running along the river and it was quite shady. Not too terrible. By mile 4, I was still maintaining the same pace but struggling to keep it. But I hadn't walked a step yet. And the only step I did walk were those at the water stop and 5 steps during the last .25 mile (there was a really big hill and I made it up most of hill but I didn't have the power to crest it.) From there I could see the finish line.

I just kept on truckin', there was a women who I had been running a few steps behind the whole race. So as we were approaching the finish like I was gaining on her, I said to her "We've come so far, don't let me beat you now". I crossed the finish line with a 55.36 gun time. I won't get my chip time until later I guess, but either way I am completely satisified with my results.

No comments:

Post a Comment