Saturday, May 7, 2011

Pussy foot

So lately I have had an issue with my left foot falling asleep and getting tingly while I run. I have been running exclusively in my VFF Bikilas and around mile 2 lefty gets tingly and then eventually it feels like I am running on a stump. Not so great for my form or for my feet. On Thursday I ran about 2.3 miles before my foot went to sleep. Then I took off my shoes and jogged barefoot all the way home after a bit of feeling came back into my foot. So today, my 4 miler day I decided to do an experiment. I laced up my New Balances with arch support insoles and set out on my merry way. I was feeling pretty good, running my little hiney (ok big hiney) around the neighborhood and low and behold at mile 2.6 my righty went to sleep. Lefty was wide awake and ready to kill the last bit of pavement. At this point I know it is my shoes, I stop stretch, walk a little and begin again, but righty is STUBBORN and won't wake the fuck up. So after running .9 miles feeling only half my feet I decided to take off my shoes and walk a little barefoot, as the feeing comes back I run the last .6 miles home.

So now, please tell me what is the answer to this dilemma. Obviously something about these shoes (both pairs) are causing my feet to fall asleep. And I don't know what it is... But I guess the upside is it isn't my feet causing my feet to fall asleep.

Maybe I need to upgrade to the new Bikila LS, with the adjustable speed lace. I do have pretty thick feet, and the I could barely put on the VFF's when I first bought them. And this is the longest and farthest I have worn them. All I know is this is irritating me.

2 comments:

  1. I have this problem in both my feet whenever I do strenuous exercise. Treadmill, running outside, elliptical, spinning bike...It's creepy and makes me fear I'm just going to have an aneurysm and keel over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. It stopped now that I started running on varied terrain. And I never tie or lace my shoes tightly. I hate the feeling too, it's really unsettling.

    ReplyDelete